The Grid: The Grid: Episode 67 – A Smorgasbord of Topics

Matt and RC touch on a variety of topics in this episode. They discuss the Nikon D800 and printing big. They also talk about lens calibration and microfocus, iphoneography, Leica cameras, Instagram effects and whether they are overused, and the advantages of posting photos to your own personal website instead of social media pages.

1. Rosella says:

I think that everything published made a ton of sense.

However, what about this? what if you added a little content?

I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your website,
    however what if you added something that grabbed folk’s attention?
    I mean The Grid: Episode 67 – A Smorgasbord of Topics | The Grid is a little boring.

You could glance at Yahoo’s home page and watch how
    they create post headlines to grab people interested.

You might try adding a video or a related picture
    or two to get readers interested about what you’ve
    got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your blog a little
    bit more interesting.

my web site: boneka; Rosella,

2. Andrea Penners says:

Excellent episode. Can’t wait to see the video on lens calibration, it’s more important than most realize. I do it with my camera, but not all cameras have this feature.

3. Patti Couture says:

Another good show. Enjoyed the social media discussion.

4. Blaine says:

Thanks for the great show i was looking at a mirrorless camera and now im re thinking getting one,great info!

5. Frank Furbish says:

Great show. Just got a D800 so…. :) Maybe Larry ‘s “Cheap Shots” should show how to make one of those with a printer and cardboard.

6. Frank Furbish says:

Great show as always. Recently got a D800 and think I have some “issues”. The calibration tool would make a nice episode of “Cheap Shots”! Seriously, how had would it be to print and paste on cardboard…

Thanks again!!

7. Love watching this show…..When I retired a few years back, I took up photography.

8. _dave_ says:

Great show, you guys crack me up but always provide useful photo info and opinions. Recent switcher from over 30 years shooting Canon, Kodak and Olympus. It ain’t the equipment-it’s the photographer…
    Someone gave me a nice compliment recently…”your camera takes GREAT pictures”… How does that make you guys feel when someone says that? How do you react???

9. bruce elder says:

nice show

10. Keith says:

Great Show and discussion. Wish I could afford a D800 but also liked the social media discussion.

11. Keith says:

Great discussion. Really liked the stuff on social media and the D800.

12. Bas Hobson says:

Great show guys.

13. Brian says:

Great show as usual; love the candid conversations.

I used Canon for many years and then finally saw the light and switched to Nikon :)

You are correct, it doesn’t matter which brand you use, it’s all about feel. It’s the photographer and not the brand of camera that matters. The most important role for a camera is to get out of the way of the creative process.

Keep up the great work!

14. sherry says:

HI,
    Have you guys tried the Nikon D800 E.

15. Gregg Jaehning says:

Great show as always. Thanks and keep up the great work. Definitely do a show on lens calibration.

16. It was interesting to actually hear the Sony a77 mentioned on a photography program. That’s what I use.
    Martin

17. Thomas White says:

Nice show. I’d just like to comment on what I find anti-social about social media. In speaking about directing social media comments back to your blog, RC gave example of talking to someone about a current blog post. Making the assumption that the person was somewhat interested in what you were currently talking about, why direct them to a blog instead of actually having a conversation with that individual about your blog post? Are me moving to a 140 character limit social interaction?

18. Chris newham says:

Great show as always, liked the zooming in on the d800 shot I have one and I totally agree the detail is totally amazing and your correct I now have a wall of large prints.

19. Eddie says:

This episode was awesome! Loved it. Loved being inspired by you guys.

20. Mike says:

Liked the discussion of iPhones and Instagram. Why “iphoneography” is even a term I don’t understand.

21. Rob Habisreitinger says:

I have also noticed focus issues with the D800. Thanks for the information on the lens Cal.

22. Matt says:

Great show, guys. My favorite part is really a resonaiting theme with the KelbyTV talent and that is “shooting it straight”. You aren’t afraid to respond to criticism immediately and it is done with confidence in the topics you discuss. You aren’t afraid to disagree with one another and that brings an extra thought-provoking element to the show. In this episode in particular, I love how RC and Matt handled the Nikon-lovers heckler. Who cares wgat brand you love to shoot with as long as you are creating images that mean something to you. Keep up the great work! I’ll be tuning in regularly!

23. Matt says:

Great show, guys. My favorite part is really a resonaiting theme with the KelbyTV talent and that is “shooting it straight”. You aren’t afraid to respond to criticism immediately and it is done with confidence in the topics you discuss. You aren’t afraid to disagree with one another and that brings an extra thought-provoking element to the show. In this episode in particular, I love how RC and Matt handled the Nikon-lovers heckler. Keep up the great work! I’ll be tuning in regularly!

24. Roger says:

Great smorgasbord of information. Have spent a lifetime striving for clear sharp photos, never had any use for “messing up” the photos with Instagram effects.

25. Flora says:

Great show! You guys covered some many interesting topics in one show.
    I will be looking forward for the black and white show.
    Have an amazing photoshop world!

26. Bonnie Fiser says:

Good show, would love to learn more about lens calibration!

27. Bridget says:

I am continually amazed at how much MORE I have left to learn!! I can’t say enough how much I appreciate the information you share with us on the Grid (and throughout Kelby Media Group and NAPP). The fun you have and the entertaining way you present everything makes the learning feel more like finding another nugget of treasure than an overwhelming mountain I have yet to climb. The SpyderLensCal – that’s just exciting to know about!! Thank you again for all you do! (And have some extra fun at PSW for me!!!!)

28. Bridget says:

I am continually amazed by how much MORE I have left to learrn!! I can’t say enough how much I really appreciate the knowledge you share with us here on the Grid (and throughout Kelby Media Group and NAPP). The fun you have and the entertaining way it’s presented makes every little nugget a treasure to find rather than an overwhelming mountain yet to climb. The SpyderLensCal by Datacolor – that’s just exciting to know about!! Thank you for all you do!! (Have some extra fun at PSW for me!!!!)

29. dan harper says:

lens calibration video.. bring it on!!

30. Another great show. I did not know Spyder made a competitor to LensAlign.

Have fun at photoshopworld – wish I could have been there.

31. Markus M. says:

Great show!
    Loved the “every job needs it’s own tools” statement and the there’s no need for mirrorless stuff. ;-)

32. ARKreations says:

Great show –
    would love to see the lens calibration video.
    (and win the lenscal…)

33. Phil Burt says:

You always rock and WOW what a prize list!

34. Why in the world won’t my comments appear?!?

35. Stephen Kennedy says:

Great show guys, I watched it on the flight to Vegas on my way to Photoshop World. Hope to meet you guys there! Looking forward to my first PSW.

36. Funny, just yesterday I was asking my husband how you pronounce “crepes” and I said it the same way Matt did. lol I responded saying, “Why don’t they just spell it crapes?” ANY WHO!! There’s a lot of shows now compared to when I first started watching Scott, Matt, and Dave when they hadn’t even hit 100 episodes yet. :) At first, it was a bit overwhelming but now that I think of it, it seems it covers different views and styles giving people a good group of choices.

37. Evan Rasmussen says:

If I win the prize, I would like to donate the D800 book to a needy photographer. The lens calibration thing has got to be easier than doing it in my back yard with a ruler (the Cheap Shot’s way).

38. Nick Garcia says:

Great show.

It was very interesting to see RC’s choise between the D4 and the D800 because I’m in the same situation. I have a D3s and don’t know what one to get. One thing that is driving me towards the D4 is the wireless transmitter. I have the wt-4a and is a (must have) pain in the neck to carry around so the wt-5 is a very tempting reason to get the D-4.

39. Rich Stopa says:

Great Show we that watch replays need to have a chance to win Thanks

40. Pawel Folfasinski says:

favourite part is “contest time”, I’m just messing but it could be nice to win anything.

41. Good show today, guys. Really enjoyed the discussions, especially about mirror-less cameras. Was thinking of recommending them to a friend who is just getting into photography–I’ll rethink that. I like the new way of awarding prizes as I can’t always watch the Grid live. Keep up the great work.

42. Jeff Alexander Felhazi says:

Great show as always, I am glad you are giving everyone a chance to win

43. I really enjoy the interactive shows with questions from the viewers. Not that I would like that every week, but this episode was a big help.

44. Great show this week, a little slow at times on topics I didn’t care about, but a great mix of different things!

45. john says:

i would love to see r.c. do a section of the grid dedicated to lens calibration.

46. Paul says:

You want comments…you can’t handle the comments!

As usual a good show with plenty of activity in the chat room.

47. Richard says:

Love the show!

Especially the part about proper use of social media.

48. Tony Drumm says:

Another great show! I also appreciate the chance to win for those of us who can’t usually watch the live show. Thanks.

49. Franz says:

Hey Guys,
    awesome show! I like your shout out of opinions.
    See you next week
    Franz

50. Joerg says:

Hi guys, liked the show, especially the price-section of course…. Um, no, I meant…
    No, seriously: Great tipps on using social media to direct people to your own place, but what cracked me up was RC’s handling on the Nikon-Canon-comments after the bit on the D800. Oh, and btw: for the price difference between the Leica M9 and the Leica M monochrome you could nearly buy a D800…

51. Thomas White says:

RC mentioned publicizing your blog and gave the example of talking to someone and referring them to their recent blog post. My question is simply why wouldn’t you just discuss that topic with the individual while you were ACTUALLY interacting with them?

52. Thomas says:

53. Matt Duke says:

Great variety! Thanks for the show.

54. tom betser says:

Good good show

55. Just put the wrong email in my last comment. I wanted to fix it just in case I win

56. On my hands and knees. Lol I really want to win this one

57. MTB says:

Great show. In the iPhone, Mirrorless, DLSR debate, a lot of it depends on features vs. weight. My DSLR is awesome, but it is huge. The iPhone is a little limiting, but a mirrorless camera is smaller and better for carrying around for casual use.

58. Andy Hulson says:

Hi Guys- What I really like about Scott Kelby shows is the fact that there are genuine people such as, R.C and Matt k.
    You guys are a real inspirations to me, I am new to photography and your passion and honesty really shines through and is a real inspiration to me and i am sure many others !!!

Please keep up the fantastic shows, wish we had shows like yours here in good old England.

I’m sooo jealous that i can’t go to any of your seminars or the Photoshop World show. Maybe one day if I win the lottery….

Many thanks once again.

Andy, U.K.

59. Helen says:

Great show – been away for a while – glad to be back. Yes RC – a video on calibration would be great. Great info on the D8000. Have fun at Photoshop Word – wish I could go.

60. John Gerard says:

Keep up the great work – I enjoyed learning about the camera calibration.

61. Jerry Fry says:

Love to have a video on calibration. Please send me the link to the video. I just bought a D800. I would like Matt, Scott, and RC to publish their setup and settings for the the D800 as Moose Peterson did on his website?

62. Wallace Kanak says:

Thanks for all the info on todays show. Lens calibration is definitely in my future thanks to you guys.

63. Brian Scanlon says:

Great show, thank you RC & Matt.

64. Johnny Dao says:

Enjoyed the show. I’ll have to look into getting a lens calibration tool. Thanks for the tip.

65. Paula Phillips says:

Great stuff! Always thought provoking and sometimes makes you go “hmmmm…” See ya in Vegas!

66. Bryant says:

Have fun in Vegas; but, remember what happens in Vegas no longer stays there (Prince).

67. Gary Sydnor says:

Great show

68. Bernard Calip says:

Loved the comments about lens corrections.
    I am going to buy D800E.
    I bought On One Photo Suite thanks for your recommendation.

Thanks, Bernard

69. Tammy Dunbar says:

Really enjoyed the show.

70. Erroll Hay says:

Did know know how important focus calibration is untilI did it a few years ago. Do it now regularly. Good information, keep it up.

71. Jan W says:

Great stuff, good that you explained about lens calibration, liked it a lot

72. Great show as usual, started photographing a couple of years ago and I’m watching all your shows.

73. R.A.Bates says:

What a great revelation, social networking vs. blog. Gentlemen you explained it well. I get it , social networking is a gateway to the real stuff on one’s blog. Also liked the description of cameras as tools . This was one of the better episodes of the grid.

74. John Richardson says:

Dang! My guess is that I am too late! :-( I just got this on itunes here in Ukraine.

Like the advice on calibrating our cameras and lenses.

75. Kenneth Ludviksen says:

Nice show. I really liked to hear that my microfourthirds camera, the Olympus OMD E-M5 is actually not that good. Maybe I should sell it and just use my iPhone?
    I do use my iPhone, but only when I want to share my photo’s fast and easy. The iPhone is not a better camera than a serious/advanced compact camera, how can it be compared to a mirrorless camera?
    On The Grid you said we should stay away from forums, but you acually sound just like these forums guy’s that only recommend Canon or Nikon DSLRs. “If you don’t buy a Nikon D800 you should just use an iPhone instead” :-/
    I owned a Nikon D7000, I sold it so I could buy the OMD. I switced system because Canon and Nikon don’t make good lenses for the APS-C sensor size, they don”t have a 50-135/150mm f/2.8 VR/IS lens, they do not have good primes made for a crop sensor and so on. The microfourthirds is getting more and more complete, yesterday I bought the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 lens and it is sweet. Alot smaller than a 24-70mm FX lens. The Nikon 24-70mm is heavier than my OMD and 12-35mm lens, traveling light is awesome. It’s about picture quality, not pixel quality. Jay Maisel said that ;-)

76. Larry Robinson says:

Supper show, a great deal of information how could one comment on just one topic.
    I love the entire show.