The Grid: The Grid: Episode 57 – Blind Critiques with Joe McNally

This week Scott is joined by world-renowned, National Geographic photographer Joe McNally. In the show, Joe and Scott critique some viewer-submitted photographs and Joe offers his opinions and advice on what a makes a photograph really stand out. Joe also talks about finding the story of a subject and the importance of starting simple and building to a more complex shot. These photo critiques offer viewers a great opportunity to look through the eyes of a professional photographer, like Joe, and learn how he judges the quality of an image.

1. Alan says:

Thanks you so much for this, absolutely brilliant!

2. Ravi says:

Great show, as always! Would love either the Spider checker or lighting magazine.
    Thanks

Wow! Great insight from Joe!! Pete: great riffing, but you’re no Nancy.

4. John A. says:

Awesome show! I learned so many things from Joe’s critiques and wasn’t bummed in the least that my photos weren’t picked. Joe really brought up so many things that wouldnt have occurred to me. I seriously hope you guys do get him back for a 90 minute blind critique. This was AWESOME! Thanks guys!

5. Luis says:

Joe is amazing. wonderful teacher…

6. Thomas Piepszak says:

Have Joe on more frequently=== he was great with his multiple facet views, geometry, light, color etc all in one pic

7. JOCK GOODMANj says:

There is the

Details
    URL: http://ads.kelbymediagroup.com/www/deliv...
    Process: C:\Documents and Settings\Jock\Local Set…
    Infection: JS:ScriptSH-inf [Trj]

8. JOCK GOODMAN says:

My Avast virus detection just detected the following virus on Kelby Tv, shoot, I cant past the info, but it came up SEVERAL TIMES

9. Lewis Johnston says:

Great critique insights !
    Matt’s DC Lightroom tour was awesome.
    The spyder checker would be great.

10. Serafim Smigelskiy says:

Great show! Thank you!

11. W Patrick Clements says:

great show but need and new Pete please ha ha

12. Charles says:

Great show with Joe. Learned so much!
    Would enjoy to win the Spyder checker
    Thanks guys.

13. Always enjoy watching Joe. Had the pleasure of attending his Photo Safari Workshop at PS World DC. Thanks for a great show guys.

Joe McNally was wonderful and I do not think 90 minute show is enough next time so just schedul a 2 hour Grid next time with Joe. I will have to wacth the show a few times to have everything Joe said to sink in.

15. I gained a lot of insight from Joe McNally’s critiques. After Joe left, you and RC were ragging on some photos; I liked all but one, that of the fire truck. The fire truck looked too CGI to me.

I am going to watch your trip to Cuba, not tonight, but tomorrow. I saw some photos of the cars in Cuba and they look awesome! I love the classic look of old cars.

My wife and I were dear friends with a doctor that fled Cuba when Castro took over. Spanish is such a musical language; I didn’t understand a word he said when he was talking to his relatives then living in Puerto Rico.

16. Amazing show!

1- Pete … priceless!!

2- Joe’s critiques … man! He pointed out so many things in the photographs … so many layers …. I’m still processing then … I could not even imagine many of them.

The man is fantastic!

BTW, that ending … amazing! I looked at the picture and “wait, this is a McNally’s picture” and cracked up!! hehehehehehehe

• Ivascu says:

Thanks Joe for answering the quteoisn about whether or not we should workout when sick! What you said really hit home because I always feel guilty if I don’t work out but sometimes you just don’t feel up to it it’s great to have a guideline from a professional. Looking forward to your next show.

17. Paul Howard says:

Wow. Wow. Wow.
    I DO go, “OhmygoditsJoeMcNally” when I see him. And you’ve convinced me to book my spot at his Calgary class. Which I was probably doing anyway. But no doubt about it now. And then I can say it to him in person.
    Kinda disappointed that Scott wouldn’t let him demonstrate….. ]-D

great show guys! oh my god the magical unicorn of photography! lol :P