The Grid: The Grid: Episode 45 – 10 Things Every Serious Photographer Needs To Know

Scott Kelby is back from the road and joins Matt in the studio for 10 things every serious photographer needs to know. In case you're keeping track, they also throw in a bonus tip. See the full show description for the full list and all links mentioned on air.

Scott Kelby is back from the road and joins Matt in the studio for "10 things every serious photographer needs to know." In case you're keeping track, they also throw in a bonus tip. See the full show description below for the full list and all links mentioned on air.

1. 1.Look at other current photographers' work
  2. 2.Stop over thinking
  3. 3.Find the right camera for YOU
  4. 4.Great photos aren't found in the menu
  5. 5.Lighting: Break out of your mold
  6. 6.Rent a lens first
  7. 7.Get good at photoshop or find somebody that is
  8. 8.Once you go pro, shift to business-focused mindset
  9. 9.Understand what online forums are really for
  10. 10.Stop posting works in progress if you want to be taken seriously
  11. Bonus tip--- If you want to have great landscape photos, do what most folks aren't willing to do

1. Joe Reilly says:

Great show! Good introspective stuff!

And I like the final quote! I didn’t say this, and I don’t remember who did. but I was reminded of it by the your quote.

“To get to where you want to be, you have to go through what is!”

2. mark says:

I missed the last 2 grid episodes and just watch it this week. I loved what you said about being a business person 90% of the time when you go pro. I’ve seen plenty of tips on marketing for wedding, portrait and senior photography but I hope you guys cover some tips on marketing about getting published, getting advertising and commercial work.

3. Tom says:

Scott and Matt! You just shared the best advice I’ve ever heard from a photographers. You tell it like it is an honesty and practical and real life experience. Thanks for keeping int real and honest for us all. I just bought my first canon Dslr T2i and learn by practicing my shooting on landscape photography in the San Francisco bay area. Keep up the great work!

4. The D800 argument was really a hot topic in the “Pit” at London Fashion Week this season, with most of the photographer saying, I’d never use it here, but I’d certainly use it for fashion editorial.

I think a lot of people were hoping that it would be a “baby” D4 – much like the D700 was to the D3S.

We were really left wondering who exactly the D800 was aimed at, because we all thought that the megapixel war ended in 2008

5. DAVID ROSAS says:

As usual you made sense with your top 10. I try to go by ” WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER ” And you ‘er right do have to do what it take to get the shot ! Thats the hard part .lol haha : )

6. Erin says:

Thanks again, Gentlemen, for an entertaining, enriching, and educational hour.

I don’t care if I win a prize. Just wanted to say thank you!

7. Always a pleasure!….:)

8. Lewis Johnston says:

Best takeaway- Practice can make your work as good as your ambitions.

I would love to add number 4 to my collection of the other three well used Digital Photography books.

9. Johnathon says:

After Nancy does a I dream of jeannie refrence you hate on I love Lucy!!!! *Red Faced*

10. Eric says:

Great show. But I worry that someone on the video production side is going to get fired. Just kidding (I hope :)

11. Donna Kirby says:

Once again a fab show. Keep them coming

Great episode, and great tips!

13. John Richardson says:

Sadly I live in Ukraine DISCO is here it will never go away ….OMG!!!

14. Tony Phillips says:

Man, this was a great show today. Stuff like this is what keeps me coming back. Good practical advice that is applicable for today. I count myself as one of these serious photographers. I am no pro and don’t know if I ever will be or not, but I absolutely love it. This advice really helped me today; so much that I copied the tips from the Episode Summary and pasted into a word doc and then to pdf. I have them now on my phone and computer to look back and think about them occasionally. Very helpful.

Any gift is fine if I am not already too late with my post. Great show though.

15. Ray says:

Scott, I watched the live Wacom tablet show and remember Scott showing his new masking tip for dodging and burning. He stated he was shown this tip a few week earlier and found it to be easier. Everyone, professional or not, is learning something new each and everyday because of new technology. I love Scott because he doesn’t try to act like he knows everything. He admits he learns everyday…..Keep up the good work guys…

16. Ray says:

Great show guys…I especially like when Scott sang “I’ve Got A Feeling”. I would love to see Scott perform once on the Grid. I bet he can rock it old style….thanks again guys, I have learned so much since I joined kelby training and NAPP…..

17. W Patrick Clements says:

Great Show and would like the Book

18. Matt Perkowski says:

What a fantastic show! One of these days I’m going to catch it live.

19. Rich Stopa says:

Great Show either book would be great

20. Very fast bicycle race? Really?? :-)

Great list!! Just that! Working on the first one yet, and trying to shoot!

21. I love “The Grid.” I look forward to hearing it every week. I am a NAAP member and Kelby Training subscriber but my favorite is “The Grid.”

Scott, you say the things that need to be said.

22. Tony Rouzer says:

Scott, have you seen Pulp Fiction, course you have. You are a BFM. The BEST at what you do. Matt you too. I got Alan Hess’s book , All Access Your backstage Pass to Concert Photography. Awesome read. Practice, Practice, Practise. I have got some of my best shots with my kit lens. Why? Because I practice with it, I know what I can get out of that lens. I rent when I need better. I usally suck at first till I get use to them. Sorry I am rambling. Rock On.

23. Lee Zeitelhack says:

Anger? why would anyone be angry about any of your opinions??? Just kidding, guys. The “true believrs” in whatever they are used to, will ALWAYS get upset when they are challenged to actually think about what we are trying to do. As for me, I like Ansel, but I am becoming a citizen of the 21st century in my photography, no matter that i am now 63.

24. ken campbell says:

Great show, really enjoyed your top ten.

25. PEACE GADDIS says:

GREAT SHOW

26. Great show guys!
    I love your show…it is so helpful me as a 17 year old just starting out graphic designer..

27. Nat says:

Loved this episode. I’m always on taxi duty with the kids when it goes out live. You guys get better and better :) I love catching up. Thanks so much!

28. iram rolon says:

Interesting Show. Thanks again

29. Chuck Sider says:

Excellent . . .

30. Bob Thayer says:

Great show as usual!

31. Justin Wallace says:

Those tips were good. Thanks

Great tips.

33. Kay says:

Thank you for the show – all my best from Germany!

34. Phil Burt says:

You really are the best. Love your show.
    phil

great show guys! you’re all awsome! :P