The Grid: The Grid: Episode 39 – Zack Arias

Zack Arias joins Scott and Matt in the studio as they all share their predictions for 2012. Discussions ranged from medium format cameras to debating if print is dead, and from HDR = Horrible Digital Reproduction to the birth of HDRcats - and of course, there was talk of the x100.

Zack Arias joins Scott and Matt in the studio as they all share their predictions for 2012. Discussions ranged from medium format cameras to debating if print is "dead," and from HDR = Horrible Digital Reproduction to the birth of "HDRcats" …and of course, there was talk of the x100.

1. what is the difference between an hid bulb (or kit) and a xenon bulb (or kit).. is there difference in appearance?. i want to install an hid kit on my car but came upon an hid kit and xenon kit. and the xenon kit is more expensive.

2. Victor Clarke says:

Great show

But I only listen to the audio version in my car do don’t want to download the video version – the last audio on iTunes is episode 36 – are you going to restart doing audio versions????

3. Greg Allen says:

Gentlemen. This is my first time to view the Grid and I must say that I am a bit disappointed. As someone who is very busy with work and family, I rarely have time to stop and watch videos. When I do I appreciate a more informative video with less banter. Loved the show after the first break.

4. Mike says:

When will The Grid (audio only) podcast return?
    Show 36 was the last one released.

Keep up the great shows.

5. Rasmus Juul says:

Digital F3.. AMEN to that!!!

6. RogerT says:

Just wanted to let you know the Audio Only podcast at iTunes only goes up through 2011. None of the 2012 episodes are available there, just the video versions. Could someone please fix this? Thanks so much.

7. Shawn Highfill says:

I predict that Zack and Scott will get hate mail from the shoot and burners for saying they should die.

Wait, that won’t happen. Shoot and burners most likely aren’t watching good educational material.
    (I can’t believe I just call the Grid good educational material.) :-)

Scott will wear black Tshirts in 2012. Oh wait that is the same as Matt’s example “Cars will run on gas”

Zack was a little quite, you better make the suitcase bigger next time.

Great show

Floof and run…

8. Charles says:

Awesome show, can’t wait for the next one.
    I could use Corey’s book! Is that a prediction….

9. Gene Kimball says:

Scott gave me a better idea on how to use PS in conjunction with CEP4. As for using larger format cameras, I remember having to lug around large format cameras and huge strobes with a heavy battery pack [which was still a major improvement over the flashbulbs we were using prior to that time]. The 35mm was great in that it was an all-day camera meaning that you could lug it all day without falling over from exhaustion.

10. Bill Truran says:

10% better than 2011…..

11. Iram Rolon says:

I notice, Zap’s T-shirt from a Jared Plolin product from froknowsphoto.com. Its was a free advertise, or a subliminal message?

12. Scott Fuller says:

Is there a reason why you aren’t doing audio only versions of the grid episodes on intunes anymore?

13. Eric says:

I take it they haven’t seen the sales reports for the Kindle Fire.

14. Great show as always! Thanks for sharing!

15. Tom Good says:

I predict in 2012 I will attend my second Photoshop World and get everyone’s autograph and maybe even another hug from Nancy!
    Oh, and maybe a new camera?

16. Josh says:

Great show! Thanks for making Light It for android! Very much appreciated.

17. martin gillette says:

awesome, awesome……AWESOME!!!!!

18. Wayne Berry says:

Great show

19. Lewis Johnston says:

Scott<

How did you deal with model releases in the India shots……or did you?

Expect that the language difference might be an issue.

Great show.

Great show!

21. Gerardo Palermo says:

I’m building my Google+ circles out of the guests on the grid! Very interesting photographers! Keep ‘em comin’! (I have Scott and Matt in it already)

22. JOCK GOODMAN says:

My predictions for 2012 don’t matter, because the Mayans say that those of us that survive will be in the stone age scratching petroglyphs on stone rather than using $25,000 cameras that are then used as weapons or anchors due to fthe electric grid going down. Sunspots will fry computers, and ONLY the paper prints made will survive.. Then again, if you buy a $25,000 camera with a credit card, you won’t have to make payments after Dec 2012. . Rock on, Jock
    #thegridlive (can’t use PSW pass)

23. Don says:

Great show!!! If I win: the pass.

24. Bryon Wiley says:

I love the show!

25. Lewis Johnston says:

Scott,

How did you deal with model releases on your India pictures…..or did you?

I would think that the language difference would make model releases more difficult.

26. Matt Perkowski says:

Great episode of the grid! It was awesome to hear all of your takes on the future of photography. I totally agree with the twitter comment that if there are still walls there will still be prints.

27. Predictions for 2012 … I won’t be able to buy a medium format :-)

On the “fight to get sound from a guitar” or “fight to get a good picture from a camera” … c’mon! This is for crazy people :-) I like my bass (and my camera) because I can focus my “energy” on doing things right, not to make the gear work properly. And yes, I still need to work a lot for that to happen ;-)

I think multi-platform apps are great, even if I’m getting an iPad soon … so the magazine to Android will contribute to people having access to good information.

I wish I had the guts to do street photography. I really liked Zack’s tip of looking beyond your subject!

Scott, I think I’ll apply your Taj Mahal post-processing to some Munich’s Marienplatz hehehehehe

28. George Quiroga says:

Love the Zack man. Great show. Thanks for showing us your India post processing, Scott.

29. Jeffery Schafer says:

Great show. Love the predictions

30. Richard Philipsen says:

Great show guys, thanks for the weekly smile and the lessons…

Zach, how about a street photography workshop with the x100?

R.

31. Tim Erskine says:

Hey guys, thanks for planting the medium format seed… maybe in three years I’ll get one.
    Zack – Do a Kelby Training class on street photography.

great show guys! :P

33. PEACE GADDIS says:

GREAT SHOW
    WOW

34. Nick Mayo says:

As always great show guys!!! Absolutely love watching this stuff, it breaks the day up and adds so much fun insight! Thanks to the behind the scenes guys too ;)

35. Lewis Johnston says:

Scott,

On the India pictures, how did you deal with model releases… or did you?

36. Bonnie Fiser says:

Another great show! Thanks, keep it up.

37. ken campbell says:

Good topics today. I would be happy winning any of the prizes1

38. The Grid is no doubt the best photography broadcast. The free style nature of the presentation is great. However, what I like the most is the subject matter of discussion involves things I think about but never hear anyone else talk about.

39. DAVID ROSAS says:

Great show as usual getting better all the time .

40. PLEASE GET ME SOME PRICE !

Will Scott give Zack a suit case full of Monopoly money?
    Good Show.

42. Jack says:

Fun show with Zach being a terrific guest.

43. Chuck Sider says:

Is there still a Bronica brand medium format camera . . digital?

44. The Grid is amazing and will remain that for many years to come

45. Donna Kirby says:

I totally agree with what Bill Araujo wrote. The Grid will continue to rock

46. Bill Araujo says:

I predict that in 2012 the Grid will be even more fantastic than it ever has been. It’s always fun to watch.

47. Dave Nunez says:

With David Hobby going to PhaseOne as well I totally agree with the 2012 medium format thing.

12 stops of dynamic range is simply breathtaking