Photoshop User TV: PhotoshopUserTV: Optically Centering Images and Creating Movie Posters – Episode 253

The weekly Photoshop TV show featuring "The Photoshop Guys" Scott Kelby, Corey Barker, Pete Collins, and RC Concepcion. Presented by KelbyOne.
Athentech

Nondestructive Episode

putv01202011 Dave has a tip on using a levels adjustment layer to locate edges of an object that you want to select. RC shares a tip on how to optically center images. Corey's tutorial shows viewers how to create a movie poster in under 5 minutes. Special guest Vincent Versace shows viewers a technique for removing color cast.

This Week's Sponsors:

Wacom | On One Software | iStockphoto | Mpix

Links Mentioned in the Show

Contest Winner

Congratulations to Stephen G. Petrany who has won the contest from last episode. Check back here for the next contest winner.

Photoshop User TV Episode 253 is now playing!

Download Episode 253

Photoshop User TV Episodes

1. Roger says:

Great tip on centering your print. I’ve guessed at that for years when mounting my darkroom prints.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Photo Pioneer, stoopid robot. stoopid robot said: Episode 253 http://dlvr.it/Dl2d5 […]

3. David Rosas says:

you can find the thumb nail size under ……..layers >drop down menue >options .
    You guys are the best ! I learn a lot from you guys thank you very much .

4. Jack Ferrante says:

Answer to Contest:
    Panel Options

5. John Swarce says:

Good show. I liked RC’s segment on centering prints. Nice to have a guest “Photoshop Guy” this week!

Dave, your contest questions are too tough for me! ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh well, I can’t make PSW this year anyways!

–John

• John Swarce says:

Odd that the timeof my post is 3:02 AM. I posted this at 10:02 PM! I have not moved to England! Still living in New England!

–John

6. Fred Sanderson says:

Photoshop User TV Episode 253

Contest Answer

“Layers Panel Options”

Thanks for the always great shows.

Fred

7. Great show as normal guy !!

8. Joseph Chan says:

Mr. Vincent Verace and Photoshop Guys are always Awesome!!!

9. kc carlson says:

Thanks for the centering tip RC, Someone really needs to make that into an iPhone App!

10. Emad Elder says:

Great show guys

11. Alex Hoffmaister says:

Eye-opening correction by Mr. Versace. Would appreciate knowing when his B&W book is available.

Bring him back to the show.

12. goff says:

Great tip from RC as usual, but I think he needs to explain what optically centered means, the point being that equal width borders don’t necessarily look right: If all borders are equal in size the bottom border often looks too narrow so it needs to be made slightly larger to achieve an optical balance. Sometimes if the image is very wide or tall and the borders are equal then either the side or top borders can look too narrow or too wide and need to be adjusted. By the way, in the example used the final result looked way out to me so maybe the measurements used are making too big an adjustment. Of course you have to make allowances for eye level as RC explained and also for titles or if signing the print on the mount.

13. Damian Sepczuk says:

Hi! Very interesting optical centering method! But it could be done slightly better in Photoshop. When you extend the canvas and select the image afterwards using Quick Selection, there might be a problem. Especially if there are some elements touching the border of the picture, that are in a similar color to the matte. I suggest “popping” the background layer first (Layer>New>Layer from Background), cropping and adding Solid Fill underneath. That way one can change the matte color without edge-object problem.

The method was so cool, that I’ll write a small Photoshop script to automate this task. […] It was supposed to be small ๐Ÿ˜‰ After over 4 hours of coding the first beta is complete! It saves last settings and could be used in actions, just like standard Fit Image script. Tested under Photoshop CS5 EN. Its under GNU GPL license. Info and download: http://go.sepczuk.pl/ps_optical_center

14. Laurent says:

Great show again guys !
    Helped me a lot :)

Keep up the good work !

15. George Kwain says:

For visual centering, the math works out very close to 40% above and 60% below. Figure out how much total border you need for the vertical and add 2/5 to the top and then 3/5 to the bottom.

16. Peter Holgate says:

I’m totally at a loss as to the use for the optical image centering. It seems to be a psycho-babble concept.
    If anyone used that for an image mounting process I would send it back for a redo.
    The only time this would work is if the plane of the image is not tangential to one’s viewing sphere, and the angle and distance is so large as to cause a foreshortening then there may be a slight possible use!

17. Jonathan says:

Wow, Vincent’s tutorial left my head spinning…. How does this process compare to using something like a Colour Passport at the point of capture and calibrating from that?

• Type-Style says:

exactly.
      I am pretty dizzy cause of that spinning! ๐Ÿ˜‰

But after watching that step by step a 2nd time I realized how awesome this is.
      The Best is if you compare that to the technique of Eddie Tap. I believe it was LayersTV back then episode 32 or someting like that.

It kills!

THANKS FOR UPGRADING THE SHOW A BIT SO THAT EVEN PROS CAN LEARN SOMETHING NEW!

18. Russell says:

Hey, thanks for demonstrating the centering script. Tip: you donโ€™t have to use fractions in the measurements; you could just enter 13.687 for the print width. Tip 2: instead of expanding the canvas, you could use the print dialog to set the top margin to the print position from the top.

As for an iPhone app, youโ€™ll have to educate me: can you open the page as an HTML document in Safari on your iPhone?

Thanks again; and while youโ€™re at it, check out Beyond the Digital Zone System at http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/BTDZS/ .

19. Wil says:

Hummm .. after watching Mr V’s presentation, I have just one question.. WHAT??? I hope he writes more clearly than he presents. I remember Dave’s presentation on this, but Vincent’s use for bringing out parts of an image was new and novel, if very muddled on how to get there.

RC’s little gem at the end of his presentation on the rectangle then entering the distance in PS to get it to do the hard part was “two thumbs up”.

• Wil says:

To follow up .. I was curious enough of Mr. V’s technique to -buy the book- , and I can report he does write much more clearly than he presented here. In fact he goes into great detail about his concept, and gives you all the files and software to follow along (downloadable). Anyway, I found his book excellent and recommend it highly.

20. Barrie says:

Corey’s segment was brilliant!
    (But I hope none of my clients ever sees it.
    They’ll start griping about my rates because they’ll think what I do is easy as pie and takes less than 5 minutes.) ๐Ÿ˜€

21. Yikes says:

I’m sure Vincent’s tutorial was great… hell if I know what the hell he was trying to get at though (even after 2nd time watching). Seriously, worst teacher ever.