Photography Tips & Tricks: Photography Tips and Tricks: Crop Modes – Episode 57

The weekly podcast that offers tips and techniques for taking the best photos you have ever taken.
Athentech

Host Pete Collins breaks down the Crop Mode for all your DSLR needs and gives you information for gear, tips and inspirations to help you take your photography over to the next level. In this episode he explores using crop mode and the tools used to help create amazing images.

Website to watch: Jessica Ambats

Links Mentioned in the Show

This Week's Sponsors:

Wacom | mpix | B&H Photo | KelbyOne | Peachpit | Squarespace | Expo Imaging | Intel

Photography Tips & Tricks Episodes

1. Ryan says:

Great ideas!! Keep them coming!

2. Eric Boyer says:

Very informative

3. Harry Conte says:

Thanks Pete, great information.

4. GM Miller says:

Good Job Pete!

5. W Patrick Clements says:

Keep up the great work guys I get a lot from you shows

6. Andy K says:

Hello. I normally love this podcast and have watched it since the beginning, living through the various name changes. I mean no disrespect and I know it sounds harsh, but while I’m sure that Pete is an accomplished and knowledgeable photographer, he does not have (in my opinion) “the voice” necessary for a successful podcast. It does not grab and hold my attention. I’m sorry Pete, I really am. There are a lot of things in life I can’t do either. Please keep RC, Matt, or Scott doing the show!

7. Phil Beavis says:

Interesting perspective on Teleconverters this week.
    Thanks
    Phil.

8. Frank Eng says:

Pete good job.

9. tonym says:

Simplification of the effects of crop v.s. full frame is OK, but stating that the 10mm lens on a crop sensor is in real life equivalent to a 16mm lens on full frame is just wrong.
    Focal length affects more than just magnification.

It is unfair to beginner users and allows them to believe false statements such as “a full frame sensor gives more depth of field than a crop sensor”. Or simply that a crop sensor will get closer to the subject…
    Leaving out the other ways focal length affects the images (or at least not referencing the fact that magnification is not the only difference), is a bit disappointing.

I see too many people buying into the wrong system because of bad information propagated by uninformed (or potentially shady) sales people and by friends who propagate the same incorrect / incomplete information.

10. James Harris says:

Pete, thanks for a very effective explanation of crop sensors. I have been wondering about the difference between the Canon 7D and the 1DX. They are both 18 megapixel cameras, but the 1Dx is a full frame sensor, while the 7D is a 1.6. Can you describe the difference in the quality of the images, other than the crop?
    Thanks,
    JH

11. Enrico says:

Did you really said the german word Schmutz, when you talk about the teleconverters? 😀 I ghot to replay it 3 times. Greetings from german/austrian fan of this show.

12. Stu McGrath says:

Just started watching your podcast and love it. I just picked up a Nikon D7000, read the manual front to back, but now trying to get the time to try out ALL the great features. After being out of photography since the film days trying to learn all the tips and tricks both with the camera & post production. I’ll be back to watch more…….thanks

13. Luke says:

I have been considering a teleconverter for a while, i didn’t know about the possibility it wouldn’t autofocus on certain camera lens setups, very good to know.

Regarding Fullframe & crop sensor, could you clarify; my understanding is that even though the Canon 7D with 70mm might get closer than the 5DII with 70mm. Due to the full frame resolution you can crop the 5DII image to the same extent as the 7D and have the same, if not better resolution? Is this true?

Thanks