Lightroom Killer Tips: Camera Profiles for Lightroom

This one has been causing quite a bit of buzz. When Adobe released Lightroom 2 (and the accompanying 4.5 update to Camera Raw) they released these camera profiles on the Adobe Labs website. In a nutshell, these profiles match the camera manufacturers color appearance of your photos. So if you've ever opened your photo in Nikon's or Canon's software and been happier with the way it looked there vs. Lightroom, then you'll love these things. I'll tell you all about 'em, where to download them, and how to use them in this week's video. Make sure you let us all know if and how they're working out for you in the comments section here. Thanks!

Lightroom Killer Tips Episodes

1. oldgearhead says:

Yes it appears the Camera Profiles do not ‘talk’ to the D90 NEFs. With
    a D90 NEF ACR 4.6 is the only Camera Calibration choice. However,
    D70, D80, and D300 NEFs all have ‘Adobe Standard’ plus several other
    choices in a drop down menu..

2. oldgearhead says:

Yes it appears the Camera Profiles do not ‘talk’ to the D90 NEFs. With
    a D90 NEF ACR 4.6 is the only Camera Calibration choice. However,
    D70, D80, and D300 NEFs all have ‘Adobe Standard’ plus several other
    choices in a drop down menu..

3. Rick Brooker says:

I just read about these profiles in the latest PSU in the Lightroom section. Of course I was eager to get on board, especially after watching the video. When I tried to access the download profiles page, I was put off because the site is unavailable. Any word on when these profiles will be back up…or if they will?

4. Rick Brooker says:

5. William L. (Frank) Collons says:

Matt…love the profiles…but….I just purchased the Nikon D90 and have had to update ACR to 4.6…is there any profiles for this version? Thanks. Frank

6. William L. (Frank) Collons says:

7. Kris Corkum says:

I hadn’t noticed this problem in LR 1.4 until last week when I shot a bunch of fall foliage. I was out looking for a specific shade of orange — which I found and shot — but then when I got home, that orange turned into yellow in LR 1! I was very confused when I opened up the same Nikon D80 RAW file (.NEF) in the Nikon NX software and it looked correct.
    Anyhow, I tested these beta profiles last night with LR 2 and it worked right away! I now see exactly the same colours in LR 2 as I see in my Nikon NX software. Thanks Matt!

8. Kris Corkum says:

9. frank says:

I would like to know how i can uninstall the profiles if i wanted too.

10. frank says:

I would like to know how i can uninstall the profiles if i wanted too.

11. Brian says:

After a bit of searching on DNG profiles, I came across this article. Excellent explanation of installing and using the camera profiles. I’ve been using Photoshop and Lightroom for a while, and decided to give Nikon Capture NX 2.1. I don’t care for its interface or performance, but I noticed immediately that images appeared just as I expected from the Camera. I always needed to do work in ACR to get what I was expecting. This is just what I needed to get the RAW images I expected out of the camera, while continuing to take advantage of the Lightroom and Photoshop workflow and options. Thank you for helping me make the most of my D90.

12. Brian says:

13. Sam 89364 says:

That is a very useful piece of information.

I was considering to move back to shooting JPG since shooting RAW is too much bother with little reward.
    Using these profiles makes using RAW that much easier. Also, it makes me glad I haven’t converted all my old photos from RAW to JPG!

Sam

14. Sam 89364 says:

That is a very useful piece of information.

Sam

15. Jonathan says:

Matt,

When I installed the camera profile and open LR2 it doesn’t appear in the Camera Callebration tab. What am I not doing? I can’d find where it is installed on my Mac. Thanks, love your videos.

Jonathan

16. Jonathan says:

Matt,

Jonathan

17. Jonathan says:

found it…was working on jpeg…works on NEF. Thanks

18. Jonathan says:

found it…was working on jpeg…works on NEF. Thanks

19. Mark me down as another who has installed the camera profile file but can’t find them as working or available in the Calibration tab; I have LR 2.1 and CR 4.6 on a PC laptop

20. Mark me down as another who has installed the camera profile file but can’t find them as working or available in the Calibration tab; I have LR 2.1 and CR 4.6 on a PC laptop

21. Steve Spiegel says:

Never mind; I had a jpeg selected but not a raw file. Sorry to bother.

22. Steve Spiegel says:

Never mind; I had a jpeg selected but not a raw file. Sorry to bother.

23. Mark Lance says:

Well, I have to say the profiles do make a difference, but I am wondering if they are universal in the sense that they are equally applicable to the D3 as they are the D90. I have not seen D3 mentioned in any discussion of the profiles.

24. Mark Lance says:

25. Mike Lynch says:

Please revisit this topic. (and delete old info if necessary)
    Video refers to a changed web pages and ACR 4.6 has no apparent support for camera profiles (As far as I can figure out . . .)
    I found a camera profile zip file, but no installer is with it as far as I can see.

26. Mike Lynch says:

Please revisit this topic. (and delete old info if necessary)

27. Susie H says:

Oh, FANTASTIC. This is the most exciting thing I’ve learned all week (and I’ve been catching up on a lot of podcasts). I never understood why my RAW files usually had “the wrong” colors; I thought it was something inherent in the RAW format. Now I can delete all those JPEGs I’ve been hanging on to when I couldn’t adjust the RAW images to match the JPEGs I prefer.

THANKS, MATT.

28. Susie H says:

THANKS, MATT.

29. Richard Mizuta says:

I downloaded your 2X2 preset onto my LR print module successfully. However, I am not able to download it to my develop module. I have downloaded the lomo effects onto my develop module but it will not load onto the other modules. What am I doing wrong, please help! Thanks in advance.

PS: I like the font of your name Matt on the 2X2 preset, what is it?

30. Richard Mizuta says:

PS: I like the font of your name Matt on the 2X2 preset, what is it?

31. Matt says:

Hey Matt, I’m really diggin’ the idea of the camera profiles. I shoot on a 40d and REALLY love the Monochrome setting but am forced to shoot RAW plus JPEG to preserver the monochrome effect. Can you talk with Adobe and ask them if they would make a Monochrome setting?

32. Matt says:

33. keith says:

The Canon profiles are fine if you use Digital Photo Professional. I prefer to use the EOS Viewer Utility with my 20D, however, that accurately translates the in-camera settings for saturation, contrast, etc. None of the profiles in Lightroom match what I see in the EOS Viewer Utlility, which I find superior to DPP and LR. Sucks.

34. keith says:

35. sim1 says:

I also have the same problem with Monochrome Setting in RAW as mentioned above. Shooting on D90 and really enjoy Black and White, but, when I take my images onto my computer (mac) I find that Lightroom/photoshop/aperture/finder do not recognise the Monochrome Camera setting. The funny thing is that my images initially appear as being Mono but then the preview is updated and they end up in colour. HELP?!?!?

36. sim1 says:

37. Jeroen says:

Yes, the camera profiles are great. Still, I don’t quite understand why LR/Camera Raw can’t just have an option to read the applied profile from the RAW files directly.
    This would require some effort to deal with all the different RAW formats that are out there, but so does developing camera profiles.
    Doe anyone know more about the reason behind all this?

38. Jeroen says:

Doe anyone know more about the reason behind all this?

39. eric says:

hi there, i’ve followed the instructions to install but i didn’t see any camera profiles except for ‘Embedded’ only. is there anything wrong?

40. eric says:

41. derek says:

What would account for the very MINOR differences I see with these profiles? When I read how thrilled others are at the difference, it suggests something’s out of line on my end given that I typically see only minor and largely immaterial changes when I alter my profiles. What’s up with that?

42. derek says:

43. Tom says:

I have downloaded all the camera calibration files and installed them. They are not showing up in my Lightroom 2.3 program. Maybe my computer saved them to the wrong folder. Will this automatically load into the Lightroom folder? Or is it because I am shooting a Sony 350 and Lightroom does not support my dng files?

Tom

44. Tom says:

Tom

45. mattk says:

I think it’s a camera support thing Tom. Also, you shouldn’t have to download the camera profiles anymore. Just get the latest LR update and they’re included.

Matt

46. mattk says:

Matt

47. Agustin says:

One of the best tips I have heard. It was really annoying having that orange cast in all my RAWs.

Thank you very much Mattk !!! You have saved me. Know raws are what they were supposed to be.

Agustin

48. Agustin says:

Agustin

49. Brian says:

Sounds great…but the link is not working…just genreates an HTML doc and no video. New to LR (and my D300) and just completely overwhelmed right now…but the videos here have been a great way to learn. Thanks for all the help.

50. Brian says:

51. Tim G says:

My Camera profiles are still listed as Beta in Lightroom 2. Any ideas anyone?

52. Tim G says:

My Camera profiles are still listed as Beta in Lightroom 2. Any ideas anyone?

53. Steve says:

Hi Matt,
    In my haste to get the camera profiles into LR I didn’t realize I already had them as part of LR 2.3 so I now have both beta and non beta versions. Is there any way to get rid of the beta profiles?

54. Steve says:

Hi Matt,

55. Steve says:

I found out how to remove the beta profiles on the Adobe Lightroom forums.

56. Steve says:

I found out how to remove the beta profiles on the Adobe Lightroom forums.

57. Joe says:

Hi,
    Help, there are no cameras listed in my Camera Calibration tab. I’ve downloaded the latest version, Lightroom 2.4 and verified that the camera profiles are located in the correct folder for Windows XP, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera. Can anyone tell me what I’ve doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Joe

58. Joe says:

Hi,

Thanks,
    Joe

59. KarlB says:

very helpful thanks muchly….

60. KarlB says:

very helpful thanks muchly….

61. Gil says:

Can’t view your Camera Profiles video, above. It starts to download, then the speed drops to zero. May be a server maintenance period? It 11:03pm EST, in Toronto, Ontario on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2009.

Would love to check out the video.. is it on Youtube or anywhere else?

62. Gil says:

Would love to check out the video.. is it on Youtube or anywhere else?

63. Lori says:

I have Lightroom 2.4 and don’t even see a Camera Calibration tab in the Develop Module. Where is it? I am fairly new to LR, but I have watched the Matt’s entire training series on Kelbytraining.com, so I am quite familiar with the program. Someone please help! thanks!

64. Lori says:

65. sandrar says:

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

66. sandrar says:

67. Mary Bastida says:

I just viewed the Camera profiles for Lightroom. I did download the DNG profile from Lab.adove.com however when I open up LR the Camera Correction panel, and the profiles do not appear. I have LR 2.7 on a PC XT. Can you tell me why I can’t seem to add this download to my LR.

Thank you.

68. Greg says:

This is all a waste. When you go to labs.adobe (as of April 27, 2011) the most recent profile set is 2008 even though the editor was updated in 2011. I downloaded the editor but the profiles are not bundled and nothing shows up in LR3.

69. Thi Tamm says:

I am continuously browsing online for tips that can help me. Thx!

70. play script says:

Your website though I’d a a doubt. I will be merely not truly genuinely positive whether it truly is the absolute right place need to,